Monday, June 21, 2010

209 Show News 6/21/2010



TONIGHT ON TV
Angel Yau answers YOUR
phone calls!

Lotsa phone calls tonight
PLUS

The Moon is a Disco Ball!
PLUS
Angel talks about
The Moon is a Disco Ball
COMING TO NEW YORK THIS COMING WEEKEND!
TWO SHOWS ONLY IN NYC!
Saturday 6/26/2010: ROSE 345 Grand St., Brooklyn
Cliff Ferdon presents:
CHARITY Event for Breast Cancer
Entire evening hosted by The Moon is a Disco Ball!
10 PM: ANGEL YAU
10:30 PM: THE MOON IS A DISCO BALL
11 PM: THE RAVERS
12 MIDNIGHT: WORMSMEAT
The club's web site says "Afro Dub Sessions" instead of "Breast
Cancer Charity,"
don't ask me why. I also STILL don't know what the cover charge is.
Great way to draw a crowd for a rock event!

Because all rock music fans love "Afro-Dub."
Just come down, it'll be a great night,
and it's right in the heart of Williamsburg (very convenient!)!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
SECOND AND FINAL SHOW
Sunday 6/27/2010 Late Matinee 6 PM Start <-- Early!
Angel Yau! The Moon is a Disco Ball!
Michele Carlo! The Pendulum Swings
featuring Jason Trachtenburg!
Presented by FRANK WOOD!
FOR MORE INFO: http://209show.com/events.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LISA in MISS UNIVERSE PAGEANT?

209 Show co-creator Lisa Peters is NOT going to be
coming to perform at the 209 Show Live events, but she has a good excuse:
Lisa is in Ireland getting ready for the MISS HOTSPOTS.ie
BEAUTY PAGEANT being held THIS THURSDAY in Dublin!
The winner of this contest is automatically entered in the Miss Universe Ireland
pageant, so obviously we're all very excited for Lisa and I'm very proud of her.
She's been working mostly in modelling and acting lately (below).

A friend of mine commented that Lisa's beauty surpasses these contests,
and that he didn't even need to look at the other contestants to know who he
felt was the winner.
I told Lisa this, and while she accepted the compliment graciously,
she said she wanted to be known more for her music than her looks.
I asked her if I should mention she's a singer or musician on the website?
She said, "No, let it be a surprise when they find out!"
I asked, "So then you want me to just say you're beautiful?"
And she said, "Yeah, defo!"

There's a happy-looking leprechaun.
For more about Lisa, go HERE.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHO IS ANGEL YAU?

I first encountered Angel back a few years ago when I had been told by two different TV people that they might want to use my cartoons if I had teenagers in the cast or college students in the cast.
I went searching on not Facebook, not Myspace, but FRIENDSTER (yeah it was that long ago)
and found her by searching for college students who wanted to act or do comedy.
I talked her into playing a voice of a character and a promo thingie got made
for one network.
We would email alot and she asked me what I thought of different comedy scenes
in NYC. I told her about this one toxic comedy scene which locked people in and killed their careers, and I also told her about the UCB scene.
I told her that the UCB scene would get her hired and get her work and a chance
to be known,while the other scene would get her laid and people would write books about having sex with her.
The next thing I knew, Angel was in Los Angeles studying with the UCB and getting
bit parts in TV shows and movie trailers with Sandra Bullock.
We kept in touch and when she was in New York,
Angel would always come on my show.
Fast-forward a bit and I found myself working with a crazy girl from the
aforementioned toxic comedy scene.
She spent a week quitting my show, then apologizing, then quitting again, then
calling me from in front of clubs she was performing at to cry that I was
just like her ex-boyfriend and that I was going to hypnotize her and abuse her.
(I was NOT dating this girl, and she lived with her bf!!!!!!!)
I accepted one of her many resignations and was really
completely and totally ready to never do another public access
television episode ever again with ANYbody.
I sent out a mailer to a limited list at 6 am on a Saturday,
announcing that if anyone on that short list wanted to host the show,
they should contact me before noon that day, a 6-hour time window.
I also think I cursed and was rude in the letter because I honestly
didn't want anyone to take the gig, but I didn't want them saying later
that I hadn't offered them the chance.
In my mind, the show was canceled and I could go back to a real life.
Anyway, Angel wrote back at 9:30 am, which was 6:30 am in Los Angeles,
asking if she could host the show.
When I first met Angel, she was really shy.
I was so proud of her for wanting the gig even though I was
acting grouchy, my heart melted.
I loved the idea of doing the show with Angel-- not just because she's Angel,
but also
because she's someone from the UCB system.
I had worked with the originals in the first season of my show, in 1996,
so I figured, okay, but Angel will be the LAST hostess.
This way I started in the first year with the UCB and I end it with a modern
UCB student.
Angel's humor is mostly quiet, but if you follow along,
then she often surprises you in very unladylike ways!
Here is a case in point:
http://209show.com/angel/angel6192010web.html
That's Angel at the UCB Theatre this past Saturday.
She says she's going to put that on the UCB site, but in the meantime,
you can watch it at the above link.
Angel is also a really good person-- she probably gives me more advice than
I give her.
She's taught me that I don't need to take it personally
when people go crazy or get angry, or say terrible things to me or about me,
and that I CAN have NICE people in my life.
And so can you!
So come meet Angel Yau this coming Saturday and Sunday night
as she does back-to-back shows with
The Moon is a Disco Ball!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://209show.com